The University of Texas at Austin is required to retain one copy of every record created through university business processes, and retention requirements apply to that copy, which is the master record. Whether a master record is created and maintained within the university or by a private contractor to the university, its life cycle ends with disposition, which takes one of two forms: the record is transferred to University Archives or the record is destroyed.
Before a master record may be disposed, it must meet all retention requirements listed in The University of Texas Records Retention Schedule (UTRRS) and its disposition requires authorization from Records and information Management Services (RMS).
The Department Records Manager Contact (DRMC) is responsible for submitting a Request to Dispose of Records Form and obtaining authorization from RMS to dispose prior to destroying or transferring master university records. The disposition process comprises:
- Identify the master records in your department that are eligible for disposition based on the applicable record series and retention periods found in the UTRRS.
- Complete the Request Form tab in the workbook with the description of the master records that are eligible for disposition.
- Submit the form
The preparer and the department head must sign on paper or via DocuSign before it is sent to RMS.
- Print as PDF, sign, and submit the Request Form tab to RMS via email
- Submit a PDF of the Request Form tab to RMS and sign via DocuSign
- The completed DocuSign form is not authorization to dispose; it is a completed submission.
- Receive authorization to dispose via an email from RMS and follow any instructions for requests for additional information.
- Destroy or transfer the records within 90 days of approval.
- Notify RMS within 5 days of the destruction or transfer to archives.
There are detailed instructions in the request to dispose of records workbook.
Request to Dispose of Records Workbook
DRMCs should download a copy of the Request to Dispose of Records Workbook in order to complete and submit a request form; the workbook contains tools and instructions for completing the inventory.
The Excel workbook includes tabs for:
- Instructions for using the workbook and completing the request form
- Links to references and resources
- The Request to Dispose of Records form
- A sample request form
- An optional form to share archival notes for records that require archival review or transfer
- A copy of the UTRRS and UTRRS Notes